Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Social Learning Theory

I feel Social Learning Theory is very prevalent in the classrooms in which I have been in. In which the teacher is the more knowledgeable peer providing information to the students. While I believe SLT is a great way to inform teaching if it used improperly the students will just be provided with the answer with no attempt to uncover it on their own. I have found examples of this in which a teacher or professor lectures or writes notes on the board and we are to assume that all they say is correct. I was trained from a young age to never question the teacher's validity. Over time (with the help of a few amazing teachers) I have learned that by questioning the teacher we can learn more efficiently by opening discussion coming to a common consensus.

 The group discussions in class demonstrate an excellent example of how to use SLT properly. We work together using each of our past knowledge to come to a common answer. We are never given a direct statement saying, "SLT is...", however we are provided with a prompt and through a series of discussions and followup questions we come to a common answer that ends up being correct. The prompts and follow up questions are designed to guide us along the right path without explicitly giving us the answer. I feel if more teachers and professors tried a more discussion based approach to applying SLT the students would be more informed and capable of making informed decisions.

4 comments:

  1. I like what you say here, but be careful with how you conceptualize the "open discussions". Consider in what ways the discussions really are open, and in what ways I am steering you in particular directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason when we discussed Social Learning Theory in class I didn't really think of the teacher as being a more knowledgeable peer. This shows that teaching really is influenced by SLT in a lot of ways that we never even notice.
    I also like what you said about how if SLT is used incorrectly then students will simply be handed the answer and won't go find it on their own. I know I've been guilty of simply accepting what someone else says as the truth because it is convenient for me. I think a good way to avoid "group think" or some students slacking off in group discussions would be to assign a "group leader" for each different discussion so that all the students are required to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like you, I was taught to never question the teacher throughout elementary and middle school. In high school students were given a little more freedom and some teachers even wanted to hear students’ views on certain issues. However, other teachers didn’t think that the classroom was a place for 100% student run discussion. I agree with you about our discussions in class, and I have to say I really like them. Hearing multiple ideas from a small group, and then from a large group seems to make things run more smoothly with multiple ideas. I also agree with the last sentence of your blog. I wonder what a classroom might look like if the whole course was only based on discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is a very good idea to question the teacher sometimes. If you just take what they say at face value then I feel like you don't think as deeply about or completely understand the content. I think you learn better by asking questions because with those questions come answers that help you understand. I believe that the questions shouldn't be directed towards the teacher only though. By questioning your peers you both learn because you have to think about the defense you want to use to win the debate.

    ReplyDelete