Tuesday, September 28, 2010

107 as far as we know it

This blog post couldn't have come at a better time. In just this past week I realized how my past schooling could be explained by what we were learning in class. As I mentioned in class my 6th grade english teacher made english and language arts a subject that I did not want to attend.  After her negative reinforcement I was set up for a dislike of language arts until my senior year when another teacher managed to make it a class I truly enjoyed. I also realized that in the classes I did well in the teachers informed their lesson plans with not just one learning theory but many.  This class has been the most  informative and enjoyable of all of my classes this semester. I am looking forward to the future topics we will be discussing.

2 comments:

  1. Jason I understand what you said about negative reinforcement as I have had to deal with that in my children's lives as well as my own. Having teachers, professors who only teach a certain way and when not fully comprehending begin to dislike teacher and subject. I am now trying to figure out a great way we as professionals can "fix" the mistake that other teachershave made in the past in some of our students to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'm alone when I say I think that most professors here should probably have to take Ed 107 with Professor Kruse. Ever since we started learning about the learning theories I have become more and more aware of just how terribly many of my other professors teach. How do they expect us to learn about a subject by reading multiple articles on the subject, most of which are typically over my head, and then move onto a new or unrelated topic the next day. I have realized that many professors have this all backwards, we should discuss what we will be reading about prior to them assigning us the readings that deal with the subject matter.
    I totally get where you're coming from about having a teacher completely ruin AND save a subject area for you. I have had many teachers that have made me hate a certain subject. My sophomore world history teacher, for example, was getting ready to retire therefore couldn't really care less about his class and if we learned or not. We spent a vast majority of the class watching "Grumpier Old Men" (which is funny but completely unrelated to world history). Then I had a great history teacher for my last two years of history in high school and my feelings toward the subject were completely changed. I think it is good that we have all had experiences with good and bad teachers so that we can base our teaching strategies around the good and bad examples we have experienced.

    ReplyDelete